Friday, July 10, 2015

Watermelon Radish-Kale Slaw with Sugar Snap Peas.

rebel without a slawzzz?
ugh. puns...
Watermelon Radish-Kale Slaw with 
Sugar Snap Peas.
i won't do what you tell me.

I don't like being told what to do. Gentle nudging, helpful suggestions, even well intentioned advice- they all kick me into a sort of adolescent, contrarian hyper drive. 
This is why I sometimes (read: oftentimes) do things completely counter to my own self interest. 
My mother could probably write an entire book on this subject; though I really, really, really hope she doesn't...
Every now and again, though, that reflexive non-compliance has some small benefits.
Among them: it makes me relatively immune to advertising, cuts down on participation in contrived food holidays, unless they're donut-related (suck it, national nutella day), and means I'll rarely do anything just because I'm supposed to. 
This has all been a overlong way of confessing that I didn't join the masses and take to the grill on the Fourth of July, I slawed instead. 
And it was defiantly glorious.

i grew this. then i ate it.
Watermelon Radish-Kale Slaw with Sugar Snap Peas

(serves 4)

vegetables:
1 bunch watermelon radishes (about 3-4), scrubbed and peeled
1 bunch kale (about 7-8 leaves), I used a mix of red russian and lacanato
2c sugar snap peas, washed and de-stemmed

dressing:
1Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1Tbsp toasted sesame oil*
2Tsp extra virgin olive oil
1Tbsp rice vinegar
2tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4tsp ground sea salt 
1/4tsp ground black pepper

*use a raw sesame oil for the slaw to be fully raw, though the flavor is different

Cut watermelon radishes into julienne slices. I use a julienne peeler for this (it looks like a straight-up vegetable peeler but cuts julienne slices-- IT'S AMAZING), but you can easily do it by hand. 
Helpful step-by-step here.
Wash kale and remove tougher bottom stems.
Stack leaves one on top of the other and slice lengthwise into 1/4" thick ribbons.
Using a paring knife, slice pea pods top to bottom along their seams to halve. 
I like leaving the pods like this for presentation, but you can repeat the process, halving each half, for smaller pieces.

Combine radishes, kale and sugar snaps in a medium bowl.
Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables, stirring until everything is coated.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, allowing the flavors to marry.
The longer this marinates in the fridge, the better it tastes- just give a good stir every now and again.
Serve chilled.

pinkstuffs.




No comments:

Post a Comment