Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Raw Walnut Milk and Raw Walnut Alfredo


(better) late (than never) to the party...
Raw Walnut Milk
and
Raw Walnut Alfredo Sauce.
Freshly blended walnut-y perfection.

 

Walnut milk came as something of a surprise to me. Until about a week ago I had regarded walnuts as too precious a commodity to milk-ify. Oh, how wrong I was... Over the course of the last decade and a half I've tried (and tried making) just about every other kind of non-dairy milk under the sun. After all those years of mad-scientist experimentation, hemp milk became the homemade go-to in my household. It served it's purpose but, while I dig the taste of hemp seeds, I never quite fell in love with raw hemp milk. It lacked the creaminess of store bought and the taste was always a little... off.  But I dutifully made it each week and saved the pulp for raw crackers or cheese or sauce. Meh. Then last week I found myself hemp seed-less and a light bulb went off. Why couldn't I do the same with walnuts? So I did. And it was glorious.
Turns out raw walnut milk is pretty much perfection. Go figure.
And then there's the walnut pulp Alfredo...
*swoon*
Raw. Vegan. Alfredo.
Need I say more?


Soaked walnuts, ready to be blended.

 
Raw Walnut Milk
5c filtered water + extra for soaking
1c raw walnuts
2 pitted medjool dates
1/4tsp sea salt
1/4tsp vanilla extract
 
Place raw walnuts in a small bowl, cover with filtered water, soak for3-6 hours.
Drain soaked walnuts and discard water.
Place nuts, dates, salt and extract into blender or milk maker.
Add 5c water.
Blend until smooth or use set milk maker to raw.
Once blended, strain mixture through a cheesecloth or nutmilk bag, reserving pulp.
If using a milk maker, simply pour off milk and reserve pulp.


And then there was this...
 
Walnut Alfredo with whole wheat pasta, kale, artichokes and fried tofu.
Yes, it was as good as it sounds.
 

Raw Walnut Pulp Alfredo Sauce
(serves 2)
Reserved, strained walnut pulp (should measure about 1/2c)
3Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp ground black pepper
1Tbsp reserved walnut milk (more as needed)
Dash of dried oregano (optional)
 
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
Add more walnut milk as needed for creaminess.
Serve over raw or cooked noodles.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment